By Christian Beranek
Okay, so last week we left off with Bill (the inter-dimensional time traveling comic book enthusiast) warning me of the impending collapse of the industry in 2021. He presented to me a challenge; to let you the people know what dangers await. And how was I do to this? To go on adventures, of course. But that was all I got out of our time-calling friend. Immediately after he uttered the words “Seek out the –” the connection crackled. then dropped the call. I blame the crappy 3G network here in Los Angeles. That and the fact I live in the hills. Reception is spotty — and you would think it would be better since I’m closer to outer space. Satellites and towers, work together, dammit!
Anyways, I sat for a moment and pondered what to do next. Then, I did what anyone in my position would do: I logged on to check my Facebook account. And guess what? I found out I was tagged in all of these ridiculous “25 Things About Me” threads. Seriously, I wondered who had time to write all this stuff down. I was also wondering why I felt the compulsion to do one of my own!
“Begone foul temptress,” I shouted out as I pressed the log out button.
Okay, so I had averted writing out that list for Facebook. But I still had to write the list for someone! So, lucky readers, you’re in for a treat.
I grabbed up a Moleskine notebook and a pen. I needed to get it out of my system so I could continue on in the name of adventure.
25 Things About CB
1. Born in Iowa, just like James T. Kirk.
2. Once scraped up my last $3 in change to get a burger from across the street at Tommy’s off of Rampart and Beverly.
3. Lived in Europe for 5 years.
4. Have two brothers, an adopted brother, and a half sister.
5. In 1987, I scraped up $3 in pennies to buy a copy of Comics Scene from the Kuik Stop in Glenwood, Iowa — the magazine promised me Watchmen was going into production soon!
6. Collected Watchmen as it came out on the shelves. Issue 12 was late, but no one bitched about it too much. No message boards back then.
7. Produced, wrote, and acted in a 34-minute film called Caucasian Brown. Production budget was $200.
8. Slept in my car for a week in 1995.
9. Have a favorite book and I’ll never tell you what it is.
10. Got a gash in my head from a trash can shot in a pro wrestling match.
11. Once had really, really long hair down to my butt.
12. I play guitar and sing.
13. Have a funny Salman Rushdie story I’ll tell you if you ask nicely.
14. I love Third Eye Blind and am not ashamed to admit it.
15. Once lived for a year off of Ebay sales.
16. Used to teach swimming lessons.
17. Sometimes I take on too much.
18. Have seen ego get the best of people.
19. Someone saved my life once.
20. Have different pseudonyms.
21. Had the best time working with my brothers at our company Silent Devil.
22. Launched my new company Lead Pipe Entertainment with production guru/lettering samurai Thomas Mauer in 2008.
23. Have the best friends in the world.
24. Will adventure for you, the people.
25. Knows you know who you are.
Whew. I feel better. And now you, my faithful readers, know a little bit more about me. And you didn’t have to read it on Facebook — you read it right here on Newsarama!
And now, back to adventure as next time I will recount New York Comic Con 2009, which takes place in the future — but by the time you read it, the tale will already be in the past. So, presently…
News bites from CB:
Disney Comics Panel at New York Comic Con Friday February 6th 4:30 – 5:30 in room 1A14. Ahmet Zappa and Christian Beranek will be making a guest appearance to discuss Kingdom Comics.
Ahmet Zappa and Christian Beranek option rights to The Minions of Ka graphic novel.
Dracula vs. King Arthur digital downloads go live.
Christian Beranek co-founded and runs Disney’s Kingdom Comics alongside Ahmet Zappa and Harris Katleman. CB has a first look film/tv deal with Disney/ABC. He has several projects in development around town including Dracula vs. King Arthur, based on the graphic novel he co-created. He is currently working on his first novel and an album. CB is never late for dinner and invites you to add him on twitter: www.twitter.com/beranek