If you have an iPad and an interest in comics that extends beyond the Big Two, may I draw your attention to Symbolia, which launches today…?:
Symbolia is a bi-monthly digital magazine dedicated to incendiary storytelling from around the world. We’re merging longform journalism and sequential art to create an entirely new digital news experience. Subscriptions are $11.99 for 6 issues, and single issues will be available for $2.99 a pop. Our preview issue is free, and comes with any subscription.Symbolia’s preview issue features incredible stories from around the globe, including:
- Susie Cagle’s thoughtful exploration of California’s Salton Sea.
- A look at life in Iraqi Kurdistan by Sarah Glidden.
- Kat Fajardo and Audrey Quinn on evolution and a fish called “The White Man’s Office” in the Lower Congo River.
- The bold history of Zambian Psychadelic Rock, by Chris A. Smith and Damien Scogin.
- Andy Warner and Lauren Sommer tour the millions of microflora in our guts.
If you don’t have an iPad but want to read this kind of thing, don’t worry; they’re working on eBook editions for Amazon, Nook, and Google stores, as well as stand-alone Kindle and Android apps. This could be the start of something awesome, really.