I should be doing something else right now, but instead, I am bringing you links. Because I love you. Look grateful.
1. Rock Out With Your Spock Out: an almost-geek girl’s guide to the new Star Trek for non-Trekkies. Which would include me, but this might change my mind. Highlight: comparing Spock to Amelie, noting the hipster cred of his baby bangs (and noting the appeal to geek boys of said baby bangs).
2. More Star Trek, from my editor at my other regular writing gig. Natalia IS a Star Trek fan, and it shows. She too is a Spock fan. Highlight: “With his mod haircut and cool, inquiring gaze, the new Spock might even edge out Legolas as the pointy-eared sexgod of cinema.”
3. For a girl who isn’t a Star Trek fan, I’m sure bringing you a lot of Star Trek links, aren’t I?
4. I swear, this is the last one. Looking Back at Star Trek, with response by Leonard Nimoy.
5. Is Wolverine the most homoerotic superhero movie ever? I don’t know, because I still haven’t seen it–I’m working on it!–but this kind of makes me want to see it more. Don’t hate me. I do wonder, though, why anytime a movie has lots of man-pretty in it, it’s assumed to be targeted to gay men rather than to straight women.
6. On a more serious note, this is an excellent piece on “Mary Stu and Marty Sue”–examining “Mary Sue” characters in all their permutations, in comics and novels. Highlights: the section on Wonder Woman and this final line: “The appeal of Mary Sue, in other words, is that she is a love you can wear like drag.” (h/t When Fangirls Attack)
8. Sin City 2 will include new Sin City stories, according to Splash Page.