This weekend, I think a lot of comic book fans were surprised at NYCC ’09 during the Sunday conversation with Dan DiDio.
It’s no secret that the man gets a lot of hate mail on the World Wide Web, but in my mind, the man was nothing but a class act during this conversation, where he asked fans about what draws them into comics. By simply reaching out to the audience and acknowledging that he cared what they thought — “You’re spending hard money… the only thing we’ve got to do is make sure you guys are happy” — the comic book conversation became a little bit more civil and a lot more constructive.
And so I figured — why stop there? Let’s bring in all the Newsarama readers into the mix! Here are many of the questions DiDio asked readers (with a few added in from yours truly). Creators, feel free to add in your own questions — I’ll update this post a few times today to incorporate ‘em. Now readers, here’s the rules: Be civil. Be articulate about why you feel a certain way. And no answer is a wrong answer.
Are you ready? Then READ ON…
1) What was the first comic you ever read?
2) When did you know you were hooked on comics?
3) What do you look for in comics?
4) Do you want different artists for covers and interiors, or the same artist on both?
5) Do you want the cover to be representative of the story, or to be iconic?
6) What are the things that get you excited about comics?
7) Which Green Lantern or Flash do you like?
8 ) If you were the EiC of DC or Marvel for a day, what would you do?
9) VALENTINE’S WEEK SPECIAL BY YOURS TRULY: What comic did you use to get your spouse/significant other/child hooked into comics?