It’s Wednesday, which would typically mean Carla Hoffman’s The Fifth Color column would have been posted today if last week’s tragedy hadn’t occurred. Carla and her husband Lance suffered severe burns in the Tea Fire in the Santa Barbara, Calif. area last week.
I want to say thanks to everyone who has commented on our previous threads, commented on their own blogs or emailed me directly about Carla and Lance, whether it was to check on their condition or to offer to donate something to help them out. I’ve compiled a few more updates below, and will share any additional ones I receive:
• Here’s a follow-up story to the one I posted earlier this week, which includes more quotes from Lance’s grandfather on their condition. They are both still unconscious, in critical but stable condition, but doctors have said Lance’s lungs and eyes were not damaged, which was something they were worried about.
Update, 11/20: The Santa Barbara Independent has a nice story about Carla and Lance.
• More information: If you’re on Facebook, you can join the Tea Fire Survivors group, where people are giving updates on and talking about ways to help Lance and Carla.
• There is also a Yahoo Group that has been set up that you can join as well.
• Donations: You can mail a donation to the fund that the Montecito Fire Department set up for them:
The Lance and Carla Burn Fund
Santa Barbara Bank and Trust
1483 East Valley Road
Montecito, CA 93108-1248
• And the Blog@ crew is working on a charity auction of our own to help out Lance and Carla. I’ll share the details once we get them sorted out.