Warner Bros. screened nearly 30 minutes of previously unreleased Watchmen footage for journalists last night in West Hollywood and, perhaps not surprisingly, it received a largely positive response.
Alex Billington of FirstShowing said it looked “absolutely phenomenal.” Patrick Lee of Sci Fi Wire dubbed the opening-title montage as “impressive.” And Michael Cieply of The New York Times said the three clips “spared nothing when it comes to the messy side of the super life.”
Similar screenings are planned in London and New York City.
Expectant fans may be pleased to learn that Watchmen will have a run time of 2 hours and 43 minutes, which director Zack Snyder felt was necessary to tell the story and showcase the action sequences.
What the movie won’t have is a sequel, at least as long as Snyder is involved. A recent report cited a sequels clause in the cast’s contracts, leading some to speculate Warner Bros. might hope to turn Watchmen into a franchise.
“I don’t know, I have to be honest,” Sci Fi Wire quotes Snyder as telling the audience. “That would be interesting but, there can’t be a sequel. There can’t be a prequel. Not with me involved, anyway. I have no idea if they could find someone to do it, but it wouldn’t be me. That’s crazy talk.”
The New York Times notes that even Judge Gary A. Fees, who’s presiding over the trial, enjoyed what he’s seen of Watchmen. It was only the trailer, but Fees liked it “a lot.”
Still, in a transcript from an earlier hearing, Fees cautioned Warner Bros. not to over-hype the Watchmen: “There’s always a risk that if you get one of these very evocative trailers, you put pressure on the movie.”
Watchmen is set for release on March 6, as long as Fox doesn’t receive an injunction.