Heroes Con, founded in 1982 by comics retailer Shelton Drum, returns to Charlotte, N.C. this weekend — with a lot going on.
Guests include Nicholas Gurewitch, Matt Wagner, Robert Kirkman, Erik Larsen, Colleen Doran, Mark Waid, Cliff Chiang, Dan Didio, Matt Fraction, Bryan Lee O’Malley, Julia Wertz, Barry Kitson, Jason Aaron, Jeff Parker, Dick Giordano, Daniel Way, Roy Thomas, Jim Rugg, Matt Sturges, Matt Kindt, Brian Ralph, Rick Remender, Jimmy Palmiotti, Michael Avon Oeming, Steve Niles, Bob McLeod, Paul Maybury, John Paul Leon, Hope Larson, Karl Kesel, Stuart Immonen, Kevin Huizenga, Jaime Hernandez, Jonathan Hickman, Evan Dorkin, Herb Trimpe, Ben Towle and Darwyn Cooke, just to name a few.
Some of the highlights:
– One of the panels that was recently added is a State of the Industry panel, featuring Dan Didio, Erik Larsen, Jimmy Palmiotti, Mark Waid … and Mike Manley, who recently referred to the direct market as “The Walled City of Babymania” on his blog. That ought to be an interesting panel. Edit: Unfortunately Mike Manley had to cancel his appearance at the con.
– Of note on the show floor will be Indie Island, which has two of its own T-shirts this year. You’ll find a lot of creators there, as well as Oni, Adhouse Books, Center For Cartoon Studies, Sparkplug Comic Books, PictureBox and many more.
– The Hero Initiative will bring classic Marvel Two In One artist Ron Wilson to the show, as well as debut their tribute book to Mike Wieringo. More details here.
– Speaking of which, Matt and Suzanne Wieringo have started a scholarship in Mike’s name for students of the Savannah College of Art and Design. They’ll have a table at the show selling his books and original art, as well as hosting signings by Jeff Parker, Rich Faber, Craig Rousseau, Todd Dezago, Mark Waid, Cully Hamner, Richard Case and more. Details here.
– Low Key Comics is hosting a concert featuring local indie bands Saturday night. The first 200 through the door of the show will receive a numbered, limited edition mini-comic created for the show.
– Heidi from The Beat and Tom from Comics Reporter will be hosting a number of panels at the show; one of Tom’s, “COVERING COMICS: Criticism, Reportage, and Gossip,” features Heidi, Johanna, Tim Holder and Newsarama’s Matt Brady, so be sure to check it out and tell Matt hi. And he owes me money.
– In addition, Newsarama will have a booth at the show, with signings throughout the weekend and free candy. OK, forget the money … tell Matt he owes me some candy.